Using What I've Learned

Reflecting on what I read and listen to is one thing, trying the lessons learners out is another, then reflecting on students’ finished products afterward is one more area to consider. 

So, where am I today?

I have just finished grading the second set of essays that were developed using conferencing in lieu of ‘sit, write, submit, feedback given, retake where necessary.’  It’s time to sit back myself and take stock of where I am and what has changed.  The conferencing really started with the DBQs, then I expanded the opportunities with the following argument essay....

Things are a'changing in Room 1113!

1. The DBQ process
The DBQ, by definition, is very scaffolded, and we followed the usual process.  As always, several students just did not do what was asked of them or were not able to keep up with the pace.  The texts are hard and the process is new.  I need to keep adding additional supports.  But this time, I made changes with the feedback process, and it worked.
  • We followed the DBQ process and then wrote. 
  • As students wrote I walked around the class and supported struggling students as much as possible.
  • Once students completed essays they took the rubric and 'graded' themselves, making edits if they chose, or using that as a guide in preparation to meeting with me.
  • After students had completed writing and checked with the rubric, they submitted work.
  • I went over every essay that was submitted and completed the same rubric. I did NOT give a grade.  I made comments and gave examples on the Google Doc.  The main motivator for this came from this great guest blog from Cult of Pedagogy.
  • I conferenced individually to help with edits and adjustments.  With most students, we compared rubrics and discussed what we had each found.  In retrospect I must work in asking more, telling less!  
  • Students went away and made edits for final submission and grade. This change empowered the students to really feel confident about their writing. I loved it!
  • We really utilized the Walk’N Talk procedure before each submission.
2. Argument Essay process 
  • We had class time and provided articles to find evidence and make a claim.  This helped some of my struggling students immensely!  
  • Peer feedback and sharing time with both claims and evidence strengthened confidence for students.
  • All students created an outline (& embedded it into his/her website).  The on-level students were not approved to write until the outline was approved.  
  • On-level students conferenced with the outline to check claims were made, and that evidence matched reasons/claims made.  Citations were checked.  As I conferenced, I was able to show students how to copy and paste the outline to start the essay...*magic*
  • During writing, I arrived to visit and check-in with struggling students.
  • Almost every student took advantage of the Walk'N Talk - and I was so annoyed with myself for forgetting to record the number of edits made!
  • It was the end of the semester, so sadly there was no time for a double-submission method as with the DBQ, but I worked more proactiviely while they were writing in comparision.

Results 
  • I discovered misconceptions and understandings and was able to address them one-on-one.
  • Students were able to tell me what they wanted to say, and we were able to craft writing together.
  • My slower writers were given more time.
  • My struggling writers had a lot more support and were able to move beyond the constant ‘incomplete’ that is the norm for them in ELA.
  • Using the outline conference as a baseline was powerful. 
  • As I wandered around writers, striving to support those who needed it most, I often ran out of time as the attention-seekers took over.  I need to control this!
  • It takes time, needs more planning, relies on patience from MY peers as I had to pull kids in Dragon Time (homeroom) and Enrichment for conferences.  
  • There were still a couple of kids who managed to fly under the radar - the difference in writing organization was palpable.
  • The standard of writing was considerably higher for both essays.

Notes for Next Time 
  • DBQ - Screencastify instruction videos that explain and show evidence for each document. 
  • DBQ - more concentration on the planning form, approval process as with the on-level outline.
  • Ask more, suggest less.  Lead to the answers....
  • Screencastify or other processes to speed up conferencing.  If I can meet 'live', I can record my thoughts instead.
  • One extra layer of check-in. Some of those writers needed just a little more support during the actual essay writing stage. 
  • There is NO doubt in my mind that the power of the rubric comparison during the DBQ was enormous and is something that must be repeated.
So, it is coming together.  I am finding so many benefits that far outweigh the time constraints and pushing myself towards far more active teaching.  I feel more successful and far better a lead learner than I was when I just 'let them write', and the feedback feels so much more valuable when I see the student listen, learn, and make the changes.  It's all coming together,  

Roll on next semester and more learning and changes ahead!  Room 1113 is taking a shape that we are all benefitting and enjoying.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning for Feedback

One Month of Intentional Reflection & Feedback

Feedback Goals